click image for slideshow

Monday 6 April 2015

An email from Wild magazine


I have this terrible feeling like I am at the edge of the high diving tower at the olympic swimming pool. That the only way down is to jump. To back out now and climb down the stairs in front of all the ogling onlookers would amount in so much social pain and embarrassment that the idea of belly flopping ten metres into the pool below whatever the consequences is totally viable. This feeling is fueled by the PR engine that is my Father. He has sent out a media release to every man and his publication in Australia. 

Just so we are clear on this, I am attempting this through hike of the Pacific Crest Trail purely for selfish reasons. There is no grand plan, no altruistic motivation. Just little ol me meeting the trail on its terms. To become an insignificant speck in the great American wilderness, a tourist who's only goal is to walk and to keep walking. Whatever else happens for better or worse will be up to fate and the only thing I will have to see me through is my resolve...

Below is an email and my response from the editor of 'Wild' magazine. 

Oh and a picture! Now off to practice some walking...




Hello Richard,

Some questions for a possible news update in Wild:

Are you going to be following the Pacific Crest Trail the whole way?

Yes, I will be starting my hike at Campo on the Mexican border just after the Annual Day Zero PCT Kick Off (ADZPCTKO). The trail will take me through Southern California, the Sierras, Oregon State and Washington State before ending just inside Canada at Manning Park. 

Do you believe your training regime has been adequate? How many hours per day do you expect to walk and in what timeframe are you hoping to complete?

No, my training regime is a poor facsimile of walking a through hike of this magnitude. My main goal with training is to condition my body somewhat to carrying a load for an extended period. In reality, the only thing that can truly prepare you for a through hike is a through hike! So while I am trying to get some kilometres under my feet before I depart I plan to ease into the hiking routine on trail. I also believe that one of my the biggest hurdles will be the mental and psychological endurance needed to complete a hike of this length. 

I plan to walk 8-10 hours a day with some days off at various towns along the way. I have given myself 150-180 days to complete the trek finishing up late September/early October. 

Does the walk have an added purpose, ie: charitable fundraising? Is coffee somehow relevant?

No. The walk is self motivated. After an extended bout of chronic eczema I wanted to give myself some time to do something I have always wanted to do. That is a long distance trek with minimal gear. I have had some previous experience having walked from Canberra to Tathra via Batemans Bay and then going back to Canberra to walk to Kosciusko.  As well as this I was a part time Outdoor Education Instructor and have completed a couple of Outward Bound courses including their Summit to Sea course in 2011. 

While coffee is a passion, I do not expect to have much in the way of espresso on my journey. 

If not, why are you attempting this walk and what's your aim?

I am attempting the walk for it's own sake. I do not want to labour my experience with fanciful ideas or goals. Instead I wish to meet the wilderness on its terms. Like I said, after a bout of long term chronic eczema I realised that meeting my basic needs and walking everyday for five or six months was something I could do. My aim is purely to walk and keep walking. If I try to see myself walking from the Mexican border to the Canadian border over 4,200kms then I see an impossible task! Instead I have mentally divided the trip into smaller sections. First I have to get to the trail head. Then I have to get to Warner Springs etc etc. Ultimately I aim to get up everyday, pack my gear up and walk. Then set up camp, sleep and repeat. 

If you could send through a photo of yourself, it would be greatly appreciated.

I will have to send a photo through on a separate email.

Kind regards,

Campbell Phillips 


No comments:

Post a Comment